Monday, February 21, 2022

Are you prepared?? Lent 2022

Lent is fast approaching!  Are you prepared?

Yesterday I started a novena, read a quote, heard a homily, and made the outline of my plan for Lent 2022.

First I read an inspiring quote in the book, "These Women Walked With God" by Fr. Mary Raymond Flanagan, O.C.S.O.  The quote itself is actually from Fr. Fredrick William Faber.  He said that... 

One motto lived is enough to make a saint.

 Y'all, I need a motto.  But not just any motto.  I want it to encapsulate all of my devotions and my highest goals.  I want it to inspire me day in and day out and lift me up even when I seem on the brink of the depths of despair.  My motto must propel me ever higher on the path to Heaven.  So I'll have to contemplate this one for a bit.  

Secondly, there was a "one-liner" in the homily yesterday that really stood out to me.  The Epistle was from 2 Corinthians where St. Paul explained his credentials for being a worthy apostle.  Father explained that the Corinthians wanted him to be like a popular TikTok influencer who was strong and attracted people easily.   But St. Paul was not this.   Yet he had endured so much for the faith including being beaten and left for dead.  But this isn't the one-liner.  Father went on saying the reason St. Paul was able to endure all of these things and the reason he was a worthy apostle of the Faith is that he was emptied entirely of himself.  He was an empty vessel that could be filled with God in order to do the work of God.  

This is what I want to do this Lent.  I want to be so emptied of myself that I can more clearly discern God's most holy will for my life and do His work wholeheartedly.  This Lent will be a time to forget myself and grow closer to Christ on the road to Calvary.


This brings us to my Lenten game plan.  Every successful businessman, athlete, or craftsman has a plan that they think about and work with to achieve their goals.  Maybe they only make this plan in their head or only follow it generally (as is the case with many artistic people) but at least they have an idea and an end goal in mind for their project.  If we set out for a destination without a map then we may very likely get lost and give up on our venture.  But if we have a map for our journey and a game plan for our end goal, we can be more sure of success!  The same is true for our Lenten journey of prayer, penance, and almsgiving.

For the last 3 years, I've used this easy and handy outline to make myself a Lenten game plan!  I don't know exactly where it came from but it's fantastic!  I highly recommend you print out a copy, make a cup of your favorite warm beverage, (I had a big mug of Earl Grey tea), and prayerfully fill it out before Ash Wednesday arrives.  It incorporates all three aspects of Lent encouraging you to banish bad habits, form new good ones, and take on special penances which you can replace with Easter rejoicing afterward.

Now, I'd like to share my Lenten goals with you not only to inspire you but to keep me accountable.  You don't have to share your Lenten goals here (you're more than welcome to if you'd like in the comments below,) but I highly encourage you to share them with someone be it a parent, a best friend, your significant other, or some other trusted person.  I believe accountability is key in Lent because it's such a long season and we're trying to work on vices we struggle with.  Once you fill out this game-plan, hang it somewhere you'll see it every day.  This will help to keep you accountable as well!

Now, for my goals.

Voluntary Amendment of Life:

In this category, I am going to...
  •  give up listening to base/secular music.  (This includes broadway, country, and even instrumental covers of secular songs.  Instead, I'll listen to Gregorian chant, hymns, or keep silence.)
  • give up overeating.  (This may look like denying myself an extra second helping, sacrificing some favorite part of the meal, and avoiding indulging in foods such as carbs and starches.)
  • give up not getting up on time.  (Avoid that snooze button!)

Acts of Penance:

In this category, I am going to...
  • offer up not eating sweets.  (I know this is a very common penance and may seem trivial but I'm a sucker for dark chocolate and saying no in this little thing many times throughout the day should help to strengthen my will.)
  • offer up not reading secular books/novels.  (Yes, even Catholic-themed novels.  Instead, I'm aiming to read great spiritual works that will help me grow closer to God and discover His will.)

Works of Charity:

In this category, I am going to...
  • increase spiritual reading. [Book(s) TBD but it's really good to pick them out ahead of time!]
  • Aim to go to Eucharistic Adoration once a week.  (I like to hang out with my friends in person at least once a week.  Why can't I do the same for Our Lord?)

I plan on making a good confession by April 3rd.

This will give me time to at least go to Confession on First Friday yet makes sure I go in advance of Passion Week before Holy Week.



However much we suffer for the love of Jesus Crucified, it is but little.
~St Benedict Joseph Labré


So this is the outline of my Lenten plan.  Please pray that I may stay faithful to it if it be God's will, and more importantly that I grow in virtue and self-discipline.  

I'd love to hear your Lenten practices, stories, and graces in the comments below!  What are you looking forward to this Lent?

God bless you and keep you!


PS.  What are we thinking of this new design??  I'd love to hear your comments/suggestions below!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like it will be an excellent and fruitful Lent :)

    This post is timely. Yet again, Lent is sneaking up on me very quickly and I feel a bit frazzled. Last night, I realized that my husband and I missed the start of our yearly Marian Consecration ending on march 25!! Oops. Fortunately, we only missed it by 2 days, so we caught up easily :)

    Giving up secular novels is a good one. Hmm. may consider that! Though my main goal this year is to just commit to our abstinence from meat Monday-Saturday. The last two years have been really hectic (covid the first year, then being extremely pregnant last year!) so I just want to re-focus on Our Lord as a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aw, so glad you were able to catch up. Some years I'm more faithful in renewing my consecration than others but it always feels better when I do it completely.

      Oh wow! Abstaining from meat all week is certainly a challenging penance! It is so good to just refoucus on Our Lord during this time; I love it! My prayers are with you and your sweet family this Lenten season!

      Delete
  2. Excellent post, Sarah! My sister and a couple friends and I are in the midst of Fiat90, so I've been preparing for Lent for awhile now. Your ideas sounds wonderful, especially listening only to spiritual music and reading only spiritual books. I've been listening to Gregorian Chant throughout Fiat90 and it has brought SO much peace during stressful times! Also, reading spiritual books has helped me grow in the faith tremendously. Do you use Spotify at all? I found a great playlist of Gregorian/Traditional Catholic music that I listen to often.

    Blessings to you as you being the Lenten Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss K!! Ah! I've heard good things about that. May God bless your endeavors! Yes, even though I just started the music fast on Wednesday, it's already been so good. I'm just listening to music less overall which has provided quiet in which I can be more aware of the presence of God. I do use Spotify and would love to see your playlist! I'm always looking for good new music! Thanks!

      God love you!

      Delete
    2. Hooray for silence! It really is needed in this world of business. Although I do love High Masses on Sundays, I always like the silence of a Low Mass for Daily Mass.

      Wonderful, here's the playlist (I didn't actually create it): https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6nNflNUqlMckEG5kHSSXAJ?si=a5848ced7d454905

      Also, here's the Benedictines of Mary (their Lent and Adoration albums have been perfect):
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/4o79bJJ2tBszgEDEvLhB2L?si=EuqZDMKLToOBYXl9zJAUYQ

      Delete
    3. I agree wholeheartedly!! There is nothing quite like the contemplative silence of a Low Mass. <3
      Thank you! I absolutely love the Benedictines of Mary. Praying you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  3. ...*falls into the comment section*...
    A wild Grim Writer emerges! (it's me. :P) And I must say--girl. Your blog's graphic design/aesthetic? *chef's kiss* Just. So beautiful. The self-taught graphic designer in me is shrieking--although I think the trad Catholic is shrieking louder. XD
    Um, yes, I should say something about the actual post. It was lovely. :) I earnestly wish I'd found it before Lent actually started and I'd made my plans heh. But y'know, maybe I can make some more. never too late, heh. And yeah. The whole thing just made me happy. Because Lent. Overall this comment is dreadfully coherent of me (I hope you can read sarcasm), but I'm kind of foggy-brained from a long day of work right now, forgive me. Regardless, I shall decidedly stick this on the list for a Remember O Thou Man compilation post after Lent, if I may? And I shall also absolutely be sticking 'round this lovely place. (If only so I can bask in the aesthetic more. The Catholic-ness! *waves hands* Ach it's so good!!!)
    God bless and keep you Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome!! So glad you're here! Aww!! Thank you so much! You're too kind.
      No, it's never too late to add some penance or good work to our Lenten regimen. ;)
      Yay! I'm working on another post more tailored to the four last things and I've got so many thoughts it's turning into quite a project but I'm super excited. Yes, of course you may include it; I would be honored!!
      Thank you thank you again!!!

      God love you!

      Delete