Firstly, the blurb:
Wisteria never forgets.
When Princess Linetta finds herself in the silver woods with no memory of the past four years, she comes upon an enchanted castle that appears to be composed entirely of chandeliers. Soon a captive within its walls, she is quickly swept into a world of riddles and magical fountains. As she begins to unravel the secrets of its mysterious owner and befriends the eccentric shapeshifting court jester, the truth behind her own history yet seems far from reach. When a malevolent force shifts the landscape that she has grown to know, will she find the courage to defend all she holds dear and preserve the forgotten riddle nearly lost to Time itself?
Set in a world reminiscent of “The Twelve Dancing Princesses,” Prince of Chandeliers is a story loosely inspired by Beauty and the Beast and “East of the Sun and West of the Moon,” yet sprinkled with a dash of “Snow White” in a medley of other familiar stories, all the while spinning a new fairy tale of its very own.
Having read Gina Marinello Sweeney's first three published novels, I was excited to read her latest and first in the Fantasy genre, but not having read said genre before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. From the very beginning, I was transported, whisked away (quite like the heroine), and delighted by the beauty of this tale. It is so interesting with its kingdoms and characters. There's a depth to them that is endearing and intriguing. Gina is a master of ethereal beauty and transcendent imagination in her writing. I enjoyed her unique L. M. Montgomery-reminiscent writing style in her YA trilogy, and Prince of Chandeliers is an absolutely perfect fit for her style. It is filled with laughs, tears, thrills, and adventure as well. One thing it is certainly not - boring.
As for the characters, I would like you to meet them yourself by reading the book, but I just have to say the three main ones, Princess Linetta, the Prince of Chandeliers, and the shapeshifting court jester, easily become dear friends. The author's writing style goes beyond classic character descriptions, and she pulls back the curtains of their souls, allowing you to experience the story right alongside them in a touching way. I know she already has a companion novel planned, but my secret wish is that she would also write a sequel. I don't want to leave these beloved characters behind!
The scenery is stunning. Whimsical imagination is mixed with royal grandeur to envelop you in a fantastical world that yet feels real. I was so inspired by her written descriptions that I made a Pinterest board inspired by the novel. If you are like me, however, I would suggest waiting to view it until you read the book so you can form the images in your imagination yourself and then see how they compare to mine. I have included a few here in this post, however, to pique your interest. The magic fountains have to be one of my favorite parts, that and the music of the castle. They wrap you in a cloak of mystery and comfort all at the same time.
There really isn't a thing I didn't like about this book, only that it had to end! I greatly look forward to the companion novel as well as the rest of Gina's work! Maybe there are many Fairytale/Fantasy novels out there that hold a candle to Prince of Chandeliers (see what I did with the candle bit?), but I haven't read them. Even if there are, Gina's style and vision are truly unique, delightful, and enchanting. She became a dear friend of mine through my reading of her books, and I am so grateful for that blessing and privilege. I'm so excited to celebrate her newest novel and share it with you all. Regardless of our kindred spirit friendship, I can highly recommend her books, especially Prince of Chandeliers.
PS. Find my reviews of Gina's previous YA novels here and here! If you'd like to get a copy of Prince of Chandeliers, you can find it on Amazon! HERE!!


.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment