Monday, June 26, 2023

My Simple Daybook vol. III

 

For Today 6.26.23





Looking out my window...


Well, today there was a stray cat sitting outside our back door, so that was fun!   But I didn't get a picture.  However, I have been enjoying both the early morning sun and the evening golden hour rays that peek through my window.  My window faces north so I don't get a lot of direct sunlight but the little rays that slip in are always delightful.

I am thinking...


...Of all the upcoming plans that are taking shape for summer and fall!  When it rains it pours!  I've spent so many years thinking about life, jobs, and vocations, and now things are starting to move.  God is opening doors that I worried over for so long.  This leads into my next section...

I am thankful...


...For God's perfect timing.  Life decisions are a fine balancing act between trusting God's timing and guidance and acting for ourselves.  We cannot just sit around waiting for God to show us our future with a flash of light but we also can't be frustrated when our well-laid plans are not fulfilled.  Act and trust in God.  These were more thoughts, I suppose, but I'm just so thankful to God for opening doors and taking care of my future!


One of my favorite things...


Wow, I can't think of a favorite thing right now.  Probably family time.  It's so important.  My sister is away for quite a while right now.  Family time is precious; don't miss it.  Take advantage of every family trip, every brunch, every car ride, and every grocery store trip together.  Someday, we won't have that precious time together.  Friends will always come and go.  Your family, however, is with you all the time until they aren't.  We truly don't appreciate what we have until it's gone.



I am creating...


I'm actually reeeeeallllyyyyy excited about this one. 😁  I'm just starting this project with a gauge swatch but I purchased all the yarn and printed the pattern so I'm gearing up to create...

Photo credit to Melanie Landsittel


Isn't this such a cute design?!  It's classic and practical, yet is feminine and has an intriguing texture.  I'm super excited to cast on but first I need to read over the pattern thoroughly, take all my measurements, and do the math because this is a customizable pattern!  I'm really hoping it will be pretty straightforward though.


I am wearing...


What have I been wearing?  I can't even think of something that's really been shining through my wardrobe.  I think the most important thing to me recently has been longer skirts.  I was a camp counselor for a traditional Catholic girls' camp (I'll be blogging about that soon!) and I wanted to be able to dress casually and coolly while also staying modest and feminine in accordance with the dress guidelines.  I've been having fun in longer skits that are swishy and yet cool!


I am reading...


...A couple of really good books!  Firstly, I wanted a light-hearted, light on the sappy, beautiful novel to read while I was dog-sitting.  Well, thanks to my dear friend Cecilia and the Immaculata Bookstore, I finally determined to find and read The Awakening of Miss Prim.  I borrowed a copy from the local library and am so happy I finally read this gem!!


I'm still processing how good it was.  I wrote a very rambly review over on Goodreads so if you've already read the book or know the outcome, go ahead and read it to know some of my initial thoughts.  But I've had a lot more thoughts over the past couple of days since reading it.  It's come to my mind while discussing courtship with friends after church and literature with my mom over tea and coffee in the morning.  This book is really on to something; actually, a lot of somethings.  I'm seriously thinking of changing my review from 4.5 stars to 5.  I hope this book opens many eyes to the necessity and beauty of a traditional life.  I also hope people discover and cherish truly good literature; not just the serial works that are a dime a dozen.

Also pictured above is a lovely cross-stitch bookmark my dear friend, Emma, sent me.  Her grandma stitched it!!  Isn't it just precious?!  And it went with the book soooo well!  😍  The little knitting project you see started there is coming along nicely.  It's a dishcloth for my mom because she loved the color when I used it for a hot pad.

The other book I'm really enjoying right now is Mary Magdalene: In the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich.  This book is absolutely beautiful and a surprisingly easy read.  I'm loving the short excerpts from the Blessed's visions and the intimate way it allows us to see Our Lord, Mary Magdalene, and the other Biblical figures.  Sometimes this book even goes on the monthly $5 TAN Book sale, so keep an eye out for it there!  (I earn a small commission for purchases made through these links!)



 I am watching...



... All Creatures Great and Small season 3!!!  Eeee!  (Look at their faces, the darlings. 😂)  We've only watched the first two episodes but it is already so so good.  I absolutely positively love this series.  This post is long enough already so I'll spare you my fangirl-y ranting. 🙈

I'm also working through When Calls the Heart season 7.  I know I'm behind but I'm catching up!  I just have to say, seasons 6 and 7 have been bringing my mom and I to. Tears. 😭  I had no idea WCTH was still capable of this.  I've missed you, Hope Valley.



 I am listening to...


...These vintage summer music playlists!  They're so fun.  I love the artwork paired with them as well.  Definitely takes you back in time and helps you to relish every moment of summer!




I am hoping...


...To get some new stickers to put on my water bottle!  I had to get a new one before the girls' summer camp because my dear old hydro flask was compromised with a crack in the bottom of the outside lining.  I've been using it for quite some time in that condition because it wouldn't leak, but I really need my water to stay cold so I had to splurge on a new one!  Now it is a beautiful blank canvas just waiting for some awesome stickers.  I'll hopefully be able to share my final decisions soon! 



I am learning...


...Always to conquer my own will and surrender to God's most Holy and Perfect Will!  It can be very hard to be resigned, even when things are going your way.  But we must always be resigned whether things go well or badly for us.  


In my kitchen...


I made these delicious deserts in the not-too-distant past!  (I haven't made much noteworthy, as of late, unfortunately.)  The fruit pizza on the left was for friends of ours from church when they were having their home enthroned to the Sacred Heart of Jesus!  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete it in time for the party so I brought it to Mass the following day.   Here is the recipe I followed from Catholic Cuisine!

The dessert on the right is an absolutely delicious White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake from The Pioneer Woman!  I definitely recommend letting it set up overnight for the flavors to marry and the filling to hold up best.  It's not too sweet and is the perfect amount of cream cheesy! 😋



My sister also made this stunning version of the Sacred and Immaculate Heart fruit pizza for our own home enthronement!


Board room


Alright, well, I just binged-pinned a bunch of ACGAS and WCTH.  🙈  But I also have lots of beautiful, summery pins accumulating!


(You can view my entire Pinterest here!)



Shared Quote




A moment from my day


I've been writing quite a few pen-pal letters after camp and just generally catching up!  It's been so fun to put things together and send off snail-mail across the country in lots of different directions. 



Closing Notes


Thank you all so much for taking some time out of your day to see what I've been about!  This summer is really shaping up to be a very relaxing yet busy time. 😂  I can't wait to share more with you soon!  What have you been up to?  Have you watched the shows I mentioned or read the books?  Have a wonderful day!!


In cordibus Jesu et Mariae,

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. God's timing is so, so, so good! That's a lesson I've been learning recently, too, so it's nice to see someone else talking about it. <3

    That cardigan is so cute!! I'm working on a cardigan right now, as well (although I've set it to the side for the summer--knitting is a school-year activity for me, at the moment), but it's quite a bit longer than that one...I'm basically trying to replicate a cardigan of my mom's that she won't let me take back to school with me, lol.

    Ooh, I'm so excited to hear about the camp that you were counselor for! That sounds awesome!

    ACCKKKKKK I LOVE The Awakening of Miss Prim SO VERY MUCH! And I'm so glad you liked it!! It's one of my favorite Catholic books ever.

    Those CAKES, my word, they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad to be learning it alongside you!

      Isn't it?! Ooh, fun! Haha, I totally understand setting it aside for the summer. It's not as motivating of a season for cozy knitting. XD Haha! I also understand the borrowed clothing struggle. My sister and I have shared clothes but now that we're moving on in our lives, we've had to determine who gets to take what. XD

      Oooh! Yay!! Three cheers for Miss Prim! I can hardly believe it's such a wonderful Catholic book and I found it at the local library. Soooo refreshing!! <3

      Thank you so much for your comment, dear!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, what a lovely little corner of the Internet! I've never commented here before, so...hello! *waves*

    ~ I've read Miss Prim! I did enjoy reading it, though I wasn't sure I agreed with everything about it. It's been awhile, though, I should probably read it again. (Not that my to-be-read list really NEEDS something else on it...it's long enough already!)
    ~ I did enjoy the first two seasons of ACGAS (though I firmly maintain that, enjoyable though they may be, they aren't really good as adaptations), but I haven't seen Season 3 yet. You see, I am either cheap or thrifty, whichever word you prefer, so I'm waiting until our library gets the DVD to watch it. :P
    ~ Ooh, I love vintage playlists like that! There's a vintage "Morning Coffee" playlist by one of those same channels that I really like. :)
    ~ Your letter looks so pretty <3

    Lovely to meet you! :)

    ~ Lizzie Hexam

    ReplyDelete
  3. *tiptoes back in* By the way, I just tagged you for the Sunshine Blogger Award: https://starlightandsaucepans.org/sunshine-blogger-award/
    No pressure, of course; only if/when you feel like it :)

    ~ Lizzie Hexam

    ReplyDelete